Kia ora, nau mai,
We are an artist-led pottery school in Tāmaki Makaurau, New Lynn.
Co-founded by Jack Tilson and Kristal G
At Wood Fired Pottery School, our guiding principles revolve around community, creativity, and a deep respect for the processes involved in pottery. Here, we foster an environment where these core values shine brightly:
1. A Safe and Inclusive Haven: Our school is dedicated to crafting a nurturing space where individuals can wholeheartedly express themselves. We stand firm against violence, bullying, and hate, striving to cultivate a positive and supportive atmosphere that fosters belonging and freedom of expression.
2. Clay, the Heart of Our School: We hold clay in the highest regard. It's not just a medium; it's the essence of our art. We cherish and revere clay, celebrating its transformation into pottery pieces.
3. Fire's Creative Alchemy: Fire, to us, isn't just a tool; it's a creative force that metamorphoses clay into pottery. We acknowledge the immense power and significance of fire in the intricate pottery-making process.
4. Embracing Originality: At Wood Fired Pottery School, we champion originality. We encourage playful exploration, fun, and the unique artistic expression of each individual. Your pottery journey is yours to explore, and we're here to support you every step of the way.
5. A Thriving Community: Our community is the centre of our school. We're united by a shared passion for pottery and a commitment to uplifting one another. Whether you're a beginner or a seasoned artist, our community offers unwavering support at every stage of your creative journey.
6. Natural Materials: We use natural stoneware clay and incorporate elements such as feldspar, sea salt and wood ash for glazing.
7. Honoring Tradition: Our emphasis on kick-wheels and hand building, coupled with our eco-conscious non-use of electricity, connects us to the time-honored traditions of pottery making. We appreciate the physicality and artistry inherent in these techniques.
8. Embracing the Unpredictable: In our firing process, we embrace unpredictability and chance. The introduction of wood ash and sea salt during firing creates natural, awe-inspiring glazes. We celebrate the diverse outcomes born from this process.
9. Earth-Friendly Practices: We're committed to sustainability and environmental responsibility. Our wood-fired kiln and its efficient design are testaments to our eco-conscious approach.
10. Weather-Wise Firing: We prioritize safety and efficiency by only firing our kiln when weather conditions are suitable. This responsible approach ensures the well-being of our school and its members.
In summary, Wood Fired Pottery School is more than just a place to create pottery; it's a vibrant community where creativity, inclusivity, and a deep appreciation for materials and processes converge. We invite you to join us on a journey of artistic discovery and personal growth.